I’m a big fan of Cooking Light magazine and have to restrain myself whenever I see a new one on the shelf at the grocery store. Since they are costly at $11.99 a magazine, I picked up a baking one and a cooking one. The recipes inside are pretty diverse and incredibly easy so I plan to exhaust all options inside before buying a new one. The husband and I eat mostly clean (meaning a lot of fresh produce, fresh meats and as little preservative foods as possible) so our grocery bill is usually on the high side. My criteria for cooking and baking is that I’ll make it if I have at least 90% of the ingredients already or if a special ingredient I have to purchase is something I’ll use again and again. I of course make substitutions if possible and really enjoy playing around with a recipe (I take after my Momma here- she’s an amazing cook and baker!).
I was flipping through my baking Cooking Light magazine, skimmed through the Strawberry Jam Crumb Cake recipe and realized that I already had every ingredient in my kitchen. At just 191 calories per serving, I basically had an obligation to bake it! 🙂
Strawberry Jam Crumb Cake (from Cooking Light magazine) Yield: 12 servings
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 5.5 ounces (1 1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp fat-free milk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sugar strawberry spread (I used Smucker’s)
1. Prepare crumb topping: combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles course meal. Set aside. (I put mine in the fridge)
2. Prepare cake: whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
3. In a separate bowl combine powdered sugar and butter, beating at medium speed for about 2 minutes or until well blended. Add vanilla and egg and beat for 2 minutes. Combine milk and lemon juice then add to sugar mixture; beat for 2 minutes.
4. Add half of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring until smooth. Add remaining flour mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Spoon half of the batter into an 8″ spring-form pan (or a sturdy round cake pan) that is lightly coated with cooking spray. Layer the strawberry jam then spread the remaining batter on top. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top.
6. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes (mine only took 40) or until wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack in the pan then remove from pan and cool completely.
7. Nom on cake. 😀